With the exception of heavy duty models and some parking deck covers (for point loads up to 1000kgs)
all C/S expansion joints are typically designed to withstand normal pedestrian traffic (for loads up to 250kgs). For any
other loading requirement we strongly recommend consultation with our Technical Department. Installation
must be in accordance with the instructions supplied with materials.
Aluminium sections are supplied mill finished as standard, with the exception of exposed aluminium covers and frames which are generally
supplied clear anodised. Coloured anodising or powder coating is available as special option, subject to minimum quantity.
Stainless steel sections are supplied satin finished as standard.
Standard C/S TPR Gaskets are available in:
Available from your local C/S representative or C/S direct.
The company reserve the right to make design changes for the purpose of product improvement, or to withdraw any design without notice.
C/S Advisory Service
Construction Specialties representatives are fully trained and experienced in all aspects of
specification and installation and can offer expert advice if required.
Full Installation Instructions will be supplied with our products and can be requested by calling 01296 652800. The following are general guidlines only:
Sub-Floor Preparation (Recess Mounted Models)
- The blockouts must be prepared to receive mounted floor joint covers. It is recommended that the recess is formed a minimum of 5 mm deeper to allow for levelling prior to the installation of the joint cover components.
- Non-shrink, self-levelling bedding compound should be used on top of concrete floor slabs in order to provide a level, even and structurally sound base under the entire width.
- Fixings for any Expansion Joint Cover system will inevitably tend to be close to the edge of the concrete floor slab. It is therefore important that any fixings used should not exert an excessive sideways force, which might fracture the concrete along the side of the floor slab and cause it to spall.
- We recommend that fixings used for installation of floor EJCs should achieve at least 40mm embedment into the concrete slab.
- If there is an expected temperature change of over 11°C daily, leave a 1.5mm gap at the end of each 3 metre length section due to the thermal expansion of aluminium. Where possible, stagger the centre plate and side frame joins. Seal in between plates to close the gap.
Fire and Moisture Barrier Installation:
- Fire Barrier systems, if required, should be installed before the installation of the Expansion Joint Cover.
- Moisture Barier, if required (and not part of the expansion joint cover), should be installed before proceeding with the installation of the EJC.